“For those who lived under the Law it could rightly and truly be said, ‘It shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the Lord our God, as He hath commanded us’. But to those who live in this present Dispensation of Grace it is as truly declared, ‘By the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight’. But this is the very opposite of Deuteronomy 6:25. What, then, are we to say or to do? Which of these two statements is true and which is false? The answer is that neither is false. But both are true if we would rightly divide the Word of Truth as to its dispensational truth and teaching. Two words distinguish the two dispensations: ‘Do’ distinguished the former; ‘Done’ the latter. Then salvation depended upon what man was to do, now it depends upon what Christ has done.” – E.W. Bullinger, How to Enjoy the Bible, pg 108.
That portion of the last sentence italicized will demonstrate how Bullinger promoted a false gospel – that salvation was by works in a former dispensation. This was the same error that Darby invented and Scofield made popular.
Salvation is, was and ever shall be dependent on Jesus Christ’s shed blood and our receiving of His righteousness by faith alone. No one in any former dispensation received saving grace by the keeping of the commandments of Moses. These so-called dispensations are man made impositions upon the text that negate the word of God.
I am well acquainted with the thought E.W. Bullinger. He is a heretic. If you are relying on his study bible for insight into the meaning of the text then there is a good chance you’ve been deceived.
Murray had a lot of bad influences to inspire his false system of religion. We recently covered the immense impact of Swift and the racist identity crowd in forming Murray’s ideas but these pale in comparison to the influence 19th century hyper-dispensationalist E.W. Bullinger.
Hyper-dispensationalism was a more noxious flavor of C.I. Scofield’s dispensationalism. Bullinger himself taught a pre-trib rapture. Bullinger also taught a form of soul sleep where the person’s body, soul and spirit die at death. Add to this the demonic doctrine of annihilationism.
Here’s what Harry Ironside, a classic dispensationalist preacher had to say about Bullinger’s teaching:
“I have no hesitancy in saying that its fruits are evil. It has produced a tremendous crop of heresies throughout the length and breadth of this and other lands; it has divided Christians and wrecked churches and assemblies without number; it has lifted up its votaries in intellectual and spiritual pride to an appalling extent, so that they look with supreme contempt upon Christians who do not accept their peculiar views; and in most instances where it has been long tolerated, it has absolutely throttled Gospel effort at home and sown discord on missionary fields abroad. So true are these things of this system that I have no hesitancy in saying it is an absolutely Satanic perversion of the truth.”
On the surface Bullinger seems like a brilliant and thorough theologian but let’s look a little deeper at what he was teaching…
If you’ve ever listened to Murray long enough you will hear him continually promote this overpriced study bible called the Companion Bible. His praise for this work knows no bounds. It’s within Bullinger’s notes, and appendices that we find the vipers. Not to mention many of his pamphlets which give a further clarification of his religious system.
I have studied the Companion Bible’s notes for quite some time. I know firsthand what is in it – if you have one you need to be aware that you’ve been misled. If you don’t have one, don’t waste your money on it.
Murray didn’t adopt all of Bullinger’s errors, such as the pre-tribulation rapture or soul sleep but the vast majority of it he did incorporate.
I have covered all of these issues at various points but here are a few notable false teachings of E.W. Bullinger, most of these can be seen formulated in his appendices:
* Annihilationism; that there is no eternal conscious judgment. Bullinger taught this.
* Hyper-dispensationalism; that Paul’s teaching was something very distinct from the apostles and the rest of scripture. I’m not going to get deep into this but it is a red flag that Bullinger has created a pervasive system of error. Asserts that the church began in Acts 9 and that communion, baptism and the gospels were not for the church.
* soul sleep, In Bullinger’s pamphlet The Rich Man and Lazarus Bullinger teaches that the death of spirit, soul and body take place.
* denies the personhood of the Holy Spirit, essentially non-Trinitarian but not modalist. Murray uses positions like this affirm modalism. In a recent broadcast Dennis Murray reiterated the “offices” concept of the Godhead. In other words, the Holy Spirit is not a person but merely a manifestation or power of God.
* none the four beasts of Daniel 7 are not historic but rather future world empires – Murray teaches the same thing.
* Noah’s perfection not moral, but genetic – you hear Murray talk about this all the time to prove that Genesis is about fallen angels having sex with women… Noah’s lineage was untainted by the DNA of fallen angels. Murray’s teachings about this are straight from Bullinger. This is from his Appendix 26.
* Nachash, the serpent… E.W. presents the idea that the serpent in the garden was Satan de facto; he asserts that the word for serpent means “glistening one”. Murray takes this and runs with it. Essentially, no literal serpent in the garden. Appendix 19.
* the Gap theory, Katabole – this is probably the biggest one. Bullinger provides the nuts and bolts for Murray’s katabole and elaborate ideas about pre-existence. E.W. basically tries to prove a point that everywhere the word “foundation” is used in the NT it really means the overthrow, presupposing a satanic rebellion before Adam and Eve. Bullinger taught that God created everything, destroyed it and remade it. This was a popular notion during his day. Murray takes it to another level of delusion though.
* Sons of God are the fallen angels who had sex with women – Bullinger provided Murray with the premise that angels can have sex with women and sire monstrosities. This is the reason for the flood we are told.
* Gospel is encoded in the pagan zodiac – Bullinger essentially Christianizes the pagan zodiac and tells us that the original zodiac contained the proto-evangelion and was corrupted.
* Biblical numerics – because of Bullinger’s work here biblical numbers in Murray’s teaching take on an occult significance.
There’s a lot more I’m going to add, I’m going to go back of E.W. Bullinger’s works very soon.