Shepherd’s Chapel has a comprehensive, systematic, FALSE theology that must be unraveled. All of his lies are interlinked and build on another. The thing that makes it difficult do deal with is correctly apprehending what he does teach that is true. You must distinctly rely on the Holy Spirit to help you discern what is scriptural and what is not.
Some of what Murray teaches is biblical, for instance his expose on the pretribulation rapture… but so what? There are a multitude of good Christian teachers who expose this lie without all the garbage.
Many students complain to me saying that Murray simply teaches the bible – this is naïve. Look at what he is saying that the scripture means… put it all together and you will see, he has created his own religion.
The following is an exhaustive list of many of the heretical teachings and malignant errors disseminated by the Chapel. This list is by no means fully complete. Here we go!
* strange millennial teachings – Murray has his own spectacular variety of the millennial teaching that features who else? Him and his followers whom he calls the Zadok. Premillennialism however was condemned at the council of Ephesus long ago. Christ reigns in heaven upon Davids throne, ruling the nations with a rod of iron, right now!
* nonphysical resurrection for believers and Jesus Christ – this heresy is a big one, it shows us the strong gnostic undercurrents in Murray’s teaching. Murray commonly teaches that believers will experience no bodily resurrection. Murray teaches when a Christian dies, their spirit body resurrects and goes immediately to heaven and that is the resurrection. The flesh returns to dust forever. Murray teaches that Christ’s resurrection need not be bodily but was merely spiritual.
* No such thing as original sin due to Adam’s rebellion – According to Arnold Murray the only original sin was when Eve had sex with the serpent and sired Cain or when Satan rebelled in the first earth age. This denial of the true nature of original sin has staggering implications. Romans 5:15-21 teaches that Adam’s sin was imputed to every one as a result of the fall.
* annihilationism: no literal conscious eternal hell – according to the chapel the lake of fire is figurative, so the lost person need no worry if they don’t believe… God will simply burn them to a crisp instantly and they will go up into a puff of smoke, you will simply cease to exist. The bible teaches that hell is a literal place of eternal conscious suffering.
* pre-existence of souls in the first age – Murray has an elaborate speculative theology based upon the premise that we were angels on earth during a vast time of pre-existence, where a rebellion took place. Souls must be ‘born from above’ into this flesh body to undergo testing. Though God knew of our existence from the foundation of the world our spirit wasn’t with God in any sense before this life – He formed our spirit within us when we were in the womb as it says in Zechariah.
* Modalism, or Sabellian heresy, one God in 3 aspects – was condemned strongly by the early church. Pastor Murray rejects the orthodox doctrine of the Godhead that God is one being in three co-equal co-eternal persons. For Murray, Jesus incarnation was merely the Father being incarnate. God is simply one person that manifests himself in three different offices. This is flaming heresy.
* Open theism, God either cannot or will not know the future – In other words God is not omniscient, therefore not God. God because of man’s free will cannot fully know the future or God limits his knowledge so that man can remain free. I once recall Murray teaching about how God didn’t know what decision Adam and Eve would make in the garden. He commonly teaches that man has free will in salvation and that God chooses not to know what decision man will make. God only knows what choice the 144,000 will make who he says were justified in a previous earth age.
* Pelagian heresy – This is an overemphasizing of man’s free will in the process of regeneration. It also asserts that human free will was not tainted by the fall, recall that Murray rejects original sin. Since Murray taught that only 144,000 are the elect, for whom salvation was given before the “overthrow”. Those souls outside of that, not being predestined to salvation, are saved by virtue of their own free will. Murray would make your head spin in his explanation of justification and election. The elect were justified for their performance in the first rebellion…
* Being born again not regeneration – being “born again”, or born from above as Murray points out is not a reference to regeneration. It means to be born into this body from another spiritual age… this is such an idiotic teaching that I fail to find the words to express it.
* Mark of the Beast – He states that those who are deceived into taking the mark can amend their position by works in the millennium with a second chance. The bible says that it is precisely those who receive the mark who will be damned.
* 6th day & 8th day man in Genesis are not the same, Eth ha adam – this insane doctrine is a favorite of Christian identity bigots who latch onto any lie they can to make themselves feel superior. It teaches that the swarthy masses of indigenous people were made on the 6th day… on the 8th day God created Adam to rule over the heathen. Yet, the bible says Eve is the mother of all living and the nations came from one blood. How did the races survive the flood?
* Noah’s flood was a local event – Murray has two positions on this. Secretly, for Murray the flood was not worldwide… but on the broadcast he commonly teaches that Noah took two of each flesh on the ark (Kenites and other races are flesh too but not of the same class of human as Noah). God sent a local flood simply to knock out the race of hybrid Nephilim who he claims were the result of fallen angels and humans procreating. Using Fredrick Haberman’s book Tracing Our Ancestors, Murray argues the flood happened in the Pamir plateau region in the Himalayas. The Kenites either were on the boat or fled the area as they were not effected by the flood…
* Earth and cosmos are millions and billions of years old – Murray definitely denies that the earth is recent creation. He must do this in order to have an immense prehistory for a rebellion to take place… he also does it win over scientifically minded people who really don’t like the thought of the earth being young. However, creation is as old as the bible states, or it is all a lie.
* Gap Theory – Murray commonly teaches about the three earth ages. He uses a collection of distorted texts to prove that there is gap of millions of year of time between Genesis 1:1-2. During this immense era of history Satan’s rebellion took place. The gap theory is used by bad theologians to prove that the earth is millions of years old.
* Serpent Seed, the Kenites, wicked pseudo Jews – In this teaching, Eve is not merely deceived by the devil in the garden to eat fruit, he has sex with her and sires a race of evil humans. The tree of life and knowledge of good and evil are Jesus and Satan respectively. As a result of this illicit union Eve becomes pregnant with Cain, the father of a murderous race of demonic hybrids who will plague humanity until the end of time. Murray calls them the Kenites and makes them responsible for all manner of evil… according to him these are the false Jews who rule the world.
* God rides around in a pimped out UFO – Murray teaches that UFO’s are referenced in the bible and that God and the angels ride around in highly polished bronze flying vehicles… this lie is setting his followers up to accept the end-time deception which will feature a staged alien disclosure scenario.
* Genesis 6 , nephilim Hybrids, fallen angels having sex – very popular notion these day; essentially the fallen angels in an attempt to overthrow God came to earth to have sex with women and thus pollute the gene pool of humanity. Physical and moral monstrosities were the result of these unions. God then sent the flood of Noah to destroy the hybrids. Once the flood had ended, the other fallen angels resumed their practice of illicit sex. These Nephilim or those with the blood of Nephilim play a big part in human history and work alongside the Kenites. In our modern parlance people like David Icke would call these beings Reptilians.
* Gospel in the Stars, truth of scripture found encoded in the zodiac – one of Murray’s biggest influences is E.W. Bullinger a 19th century theologian and contemporary to C.I. Scofield. Bullinger popularized the gospel in the stars. It’s the teaching that God told Adam the story of redemption in advance and the patriarchs encoded this story in the Zodiac. Over time the Zodiac was paganized and the message was lost. Bullinger recovered the corrupted knowledge. It is a perfect example of Christian Gnosticism.
* Biblical numerology is a form of divination for Murray – in the occult world, especially Kabbalah, numerolgy is an essential form of witchcraft. Ascribing arbitrary meaning to numbers which then in turn is used to support false ideas. With Murray it is a form of divination. Murray relies heavily on biblical numeric to trick meanings and support his errors. Numbers do not have meaning in and of themselves. Though the bible uses numbers in thought provoking ways, it never comes out and explicitly tells us what any number means.
* British Israelism – a theological form of British Imperialism, it is a core deception of the Chapel. It teaches that the lost tribes of Israel are the white European and Americans. Ultimately the Hebrews migrated to America and Britain and other places where Caucasians abide. It is from these people whom the Elect, the 144000 from the book of Revelation will come…
* Only the 144,000 are elect – the most asinine arrogant teaching of Arnold. His tape on election proves what a flaming heretic he is. He says that Romans 8:28-30 doesn’t refer to the church but merely to 144,000 Hebrews who sided with God in the first earth age. The other Christians are saved by their free will and are not predestined or elect. These 144,000 are the ones whose names are written from the foundation (or Katabole). In fact other places that mention the elect are talking about the same group!
* The 7,000 “very elect”, or the Zadokian Priesthood – Murray says initially even the 144,000 will be deceived into false worship of the beast. Only the “very elect” won’t be deceived – they are the 7,000 of Romans who didn’t bow a knee to Baal. These are the Crème de la Crème in Murray’s psychopathic vision. They will rule the millennial temple…
* Foundations of the World, The Katabole, or the “Overthrow” – teaches that when the bible refers to “foundations of the world”, it is referring to the cataclysmic overthrow or destruction of the world as a result of Satan’s rebellion. This is a foundational doctrine – he gets this interpretation directly from E.W. Bullinger. The Greek word katabole doesn’t mean what Murray says. It means foundation.
* Pyramidology, Great Pyramid built by Israelites – in the wacked out idea we find out that the Pyramids are not blasphemous monuments to mystery religion but divinely inspired structures encoded with hidden revelation from God…
* throne of David located in Britain, British Monarchy sits on it – this is where the chapel starts to get really insane; a whole elaborate theology about Judah’s two sons Perez and Zerah and their migrations to Britain. In essence the British Royal throne is David’s throne and Christ is slated to be seated on that throne in the millennium.
* Stone of Destiny – directly tied to this, is Jacob’s pillar. Jeremiah brought Jacob’s stone and one of the king’s daughter’s to Ireland after the destruction of Jerusalem… this one of the ways they lend credence to the claim that the British monarchy descends from Judah and has rightful rulership.
* The word ‘Easter’ in Acts is not a mistranslation – Arnold says that the word “Easter” in Acts 12:4 was incorrectly translated. He implies Kenites manipulated the text. The implication is that the KJV English version is not completely inspired and that we need Greek scholars like Murray to correctly translate the bible. The KJV scholars actually interpreted the word ‘Easter’ correctly.
* Endorsing and promoting the apocryphal books and other uninspired pseudopigraphal writings.
* 1/3 stars in Revelation – teaches that these stars are the souls who rebelled in the first earth age and are born into the flesh at the end of the age to worship the beast, this influx began in 1967, according to Murray. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that we are dealing with vintage religious idiocy.
* the whole tribulation will be shortened to period of 5 months – Murray reasons that for the elects sake the days will be shortened means the 5 month period of the locusts. The great tribulation will be shortened to 2.5 months. When the bible refers to 42 months, 1260 days, et al. it is really talking about a 2.5 month period.
* Deaths spoken of in the book of Revelation are spiritual and not physical – for Murray the tribulation is not a time of martyrdom and physical death. For instance in the 6th trumpet when 1/3 of humanity is killed – it is simply talking about spiritual death. But never fear! If you die spiritually or even take the mark during the tribulation you can make up for it in the millennium.
* second chance millennium – for Murray the millennium is about people on earth during the tribulation who never had a chance, receiving a second chance. We find out that no one really had a chance to begin with because of Satan’s powers of deception. In other words, if you take the mark (which is really just serving the beast) you will get an opportunity in the millennium to work your way back into God’s good graces. Albeit Murray and his Zadok will be ruling at that time and they are going putting everyone through spiritual bootcamp, so get ready to earn your salvation!
* ALL angels incarnate as humans during this age – all angels that is except for Lucifer, and as a result he will be the so called antichrist.
* first beast system, 2nd beast Satan – Murray teaches that the first beast is merely a reference to a world system and not the man of sin. The second beast on the other hand is Lucifer himself in a supernatural body and he will come here to tempt humanity for 5 months…
* Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit – this is when the elect are delivered up before the synagogue of Satan during the tribulation and refuse to all God to speak through them. Only the elect can commit it – recall that the elect are 144,000 white Caucasian Hebrews.
* Speaking in tongues conversely – Teaches two different tongues. The Pentecost tongue is when the elect are delivered up in the tribulation and allow the Holy Spirit to speak through them on international television… all the people of the world will be watching! And they will understand perfectly. The tongue of Corinthians 14 is merely speaking about the ability to acquire different languages, like Murray, nothing more.
* Non Kosher meats are not to be eaten – for Murray the health laws regarding Kosher meats are still binding in a sense for the new testament believer. So, no more porkchops for you Anglo-Israelites out there. This ignores tons of new testament stipulations regarding food and drink. We are free from OT health laws. Eat whatever you want (within reason) and give God thanks.
* The 5th trumpet sounded in 1967 or 1982 – Category 5 hurricane Camille was a sign of the 5th trumpet sounding, the Mt. Saint Helens in 1982… okay Murray, whatever you say, I’m sure they will believe it.
I am nowhere near being through with this list. I will keep adding to it…